Professional Development Blog: HR Development
Emma Gaywood – Chartered Institute of Personnel Development
1. What is Your Job Title?
Principal HR Assistant. I joined VHR as HR Assistant for one year before I was promoted to Principal HR Assistant.
2. Tell Us Your Story
I graduated from the University of Portsmouth in 2015 with a BSc Psychology (Hons). I worked in the administration department of a recruitment company and performed reception duties for six months on a temporary contract.
By working closely with the HR Director, I gained exposure to CV formatting, the recruitment industry and the HR specialism. In 2016 I was offered the role of HR Assistant at VHR and have been here for two years. I was promoted after one year to Principal HR Assistant.
3. Which Personal Development Qualification Are You Working Towards?
CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personnel Development) – Level 5 (Human Resource Management) which is an internationally recognised qualification.
4. How Long Have You Been Studying for Your CIPD?
I started in November 2017, so I have now been studying for my CIPD for six months. The CIPD takes one year to complete, meaning I’ll finish the qualification in October 2018.
5. What Does Your CIPD Cover?
My CIPD course covers a variety of HR specialist topics, including:
• Understanding of the skills required to be an effective and efficient HR Professional
• Key business issues & external factors affecting organisations and the impact on HR
• Key labour market trends and significance for workforce planning
• How to conduct a critical review of information sources around a specific area of HR to conduct an investigation
• The purpose and objectives of HR and how HR objectives are delivered
• Employment legislation and the purpose of regulations
6. Why Did You Choose to Study for This Particular Qualification?
I chose a Level 5 CIPD because the qualification is valued by employers around the world, opening up opportunities to live and work abroad in the future, and it allows me to develop my current business understanding and technical knowledge.
My CIPD has relevant and practical content, and the achievement of the course will add to my professional credibility.
7. How Does Your Career Development Make You Stand Out?
The CIPD proves that I have studied further to gain more knowledge in the HR area, evidencing my commitment to my job, my career and my company. It also evidences that I have researched carefully and widely around the whole of the HR specialism, and that I have monitored HR trends and legislation, enabling me to be as up-to-date and knowledgeable as possible on issues currently affecting the workplace.
8. How Will Your CIPD Benefit You in Your Future Career?
Although I am only halfway through my course, I have already learned a lot and am starting to apply some of the content. A CIPD gives you the tools and knowledge to progress and allows you to have the confidence to implement the knowledge. I feel that my qualification will help me progress further and more quickly in my career.
9. Do You Have Any Advice for Anyone Wanting to Further their Career?
If there is a professional development course you would like to take, absolutely look into it and discuss it with your manager/ HR. The support from VHR towards these courses is excellent, and the courses will help you develop in a competitive market. I would always recommend studying the CIPD to anyone working or looking to work in Human Resources.
Looking for a successful career? Find out what VHR can offer you.
Blogs on Similar Topics:
Women in Marine: Shirley Robertson
Shirley Robertson made history by becoming the first British woman to win...
How You Can Find a Job on Social Media
Social media allows candidates easy, quick access to both jobs and recruiters;...
7 Reasons to Work in the Marine Industry
Looking for adventure? Want a challenging career? A job in the Marine...